Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3, 2010 - Columbia Pike

Time: 46:21
Distance: 5.4
Pace: 8:35
Weather:  Humid, very humid
Temp: 80ush
Time: 5:30 PM
Terrain: All side walk, somewhat hilly

Today I began what will become my new training routine!  Waking up in the morning and running just doesn't work for me anymore.  Ever since the little girl came into my life I have not had the ability to really make it out at 5:00 to run with my Pacers group without feeling like I was leaving all of the baby duties to Erin during the early morning shift.  With this dilemma in hand, the past few weeks my training has REALLY suffered (but it's been totally worth it).  After discussing a few things about my running with Erin we came up with a plan where 2-3 times a week I will take my water belt and running clothes with me and run home after getting off the metro rather than taking the bus.  After all, taking the bus if you catch it right, is a 35-40 minute ride - if I run home when I'm in good condition will be about 35-40 minutes...I can save metro money, get my run in, and pretty much get home in the same amount of time!

The route has some good hills thrown in there and is nearly all sidewalk.  When I started out today for the first mile I felt like I was totally out of shape and this was going to be a long trip home, but then I kind of got my groove going and got into a pretty good temp.  I ran a little bit faster than I want to run the half, but I have the confidence that A) I can finish and B) I most likely can break 2 hours despite nearly no training.



Another revelation from today gave me some food for thought as I began my run, I played a game of what if's in my head.  Today I got an e-mail from an old friend from my high school Cross Country team.  Back in High School I couldn't finish a 5k without walking and this guy was one of the top runners in the state.  When I look back on my running in high school I have a few regrets, mostly that I didn't really care about running so I never trained...I did cross country for a series of reasons, mostly that I wanted to be in shape for my indoor hurdle season and I had a crush on a girl on the team!  If I was serious about running though I could have learned quite a bit and I could be at a whole different level of running today.  Anyways...that gave me some food for thought today, he works for Saucony now.  Next time I'm back in New Jersey he wants to go for a run, which I won't lie, I'm looking forward to (hopefully he can give me a few tips on my running).


No comments:

Post a Comment