Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Speed Workout of Sorts

Today I made a somewhat decent attempt at doing a speed workout, I ran my parking lot loop and used speed bumps to determine when I should sprint and when I should do a light jog...nothing that was rocket science or really planned out...when I decided I should sprint, I did a sprint, none of the "15 second under your 5K time" or anything like that.  I measured that I did springs for ABOUT .2 of ever .5 mile loop, and I did 1 warm up loop, 4 loops of the sprint/light jog workout, then did 1 loop where I just walked to cool down.  I had all intentions of doing a light jog for the last half mile loop, but my legs had nothing left in them.

I think I'm going to add a weekly (or bi-weekly) track workout to really work on building some good short distance speed and do my best to work up from there.  I probably won't be running any marathons this year but I'm setting myself some goals when it comes to 5K times, when I have myself where I think I want to be I'm going to get myself into a few more races.

Depending on my sisters flight from Boston, on April 16th I may do the Crystal City run, my last 5K was in 2008 (I define the low budget runner) and my time was 22:48...I think I can definitely beat that time, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment